Listen to our Website


Call us on 0141 634 2673
We aim to enhance the quality of life of our clients and to regenerate and
                                       sustain our community through housing-led and resident controlled initiatives


From 5th December 2018, those tenants who are registered with Castlemilk Jobcentre will be in what is called by the DWP a ‘Full Service Area’ for Universal Credit

What does this mean?

Up until now only single people with no children or health problems were required to claim Universal Credit but from the 5th December this is changing.

The change affects people of working age making a new claim for benefit. 

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Child tax credit
  • Housing benefit
  • Working tax credit
  • Income support
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Income-based jobseekers allowance.
  • The Housing part of Universal Credit will be paid directly to you and will be called Housing Element. Previously known as Housing Benefit.
  • If you have 3 or more children you will not be able to claim Universal Credit until a later date.

How do I make a claim

Claims for Universal Credit must be made on line. 

You will need to have either an e-mail address or mobile phone number. 

You will have 28 days to complete the application and provide all the information requested.  This includes:

·         details about yourself (including your National Insurance Number)

·         your rental agreement

·         income and savings details

·         your child benefit number

·         your childcare costs and childcare providers reference number

·         details of your bank account for payment

·         income details of anyone living with you



Confirming your identity

You have to ‘Verify your identity online’. This takes you to a government system called ‘Verify’ to confirm your identity.

Verify can be difficult to complete as you need either a credit or debit card, driving licence or passport.

If you’re having problems, go back to your Universal Credit account and click on ‘I can’t do this online’. You can then skip this step and confirm your identity at the Jobcentre instead.

When you attend the Jobcentre you should take

·         Photo ID 

·         Two forms of official ID (birth certificate, NI card, P60 etc)

·         Proof of address 

·         Proof of housing costs and proof of earnings


How will it be paid?

  • Universal Credit will be paid monthly.  
  • There is a 5 week waiting period for the first payment.
  • If you were in receipt of housing benefit before going onto Universal Credit, then your Housing Benefit will continue for two weeks.
  • You will be able to opt for twice monthly payments of Universal Credit and the Housing Element being paid directly to Cassiltoun.  You will only be able to do this after your first payment is received.
  • You will also be able to request a full months advance payment and you will pay this back over a 12 month period.

Managing your claim

Once your claim is up and running you will need to access your online Universal Credit account on a regular basis.  This is because you will have to report any changes to your circumstances on line and also your advisers will ask you questions or set you tasks to do online.  If you do not respond to these you could be sanctioned.

you are here: / Welfare Reform / Universal credit
Cassiltoun Housing Association is a Registered Scottish Charity No. SC035544
PADP logoLogo of the Scottish Housing RegulatorHappy to Translate logoHWL GoldPositive Action in HousingIIP Platinum Logo
Powered by Kiswebs Pharo
© 2011-2019 Cassiltoun HA |
Website by Kiswebs Web & App Design